- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Eastern Austria, as it is defined here, consists mainly of Burgenland and most of Styria (Steiermark). The geography varies from haunting steppes and the mysterious Lake Neusiedl (Neusiedler See) in the east to the low, forested mountains of the south; the industrial valleys of the center and west; and the more rugged mountains of the north, where Austrian skiing began. Culturally, Eastern Austria is strongly influenced by neighboring Hungary and Slovenia, most especially in its earthy and flavorful cuisines. Along with hearty food, the region produces notable wines, many of which never travel beyond the borders.
Burgenland. This region is intriguing both for its many castles and for the natural preserve at Lake Neusiedl, where storks come in the thousands to feed. Music lovers will want to make the pilgrimage to Eisenstadt, where the great composer Joseph Haydn (1732-1809) was in the employ of Prince Esterházy.
Graz & Its Environs. Graz, Austria's second-largest city, headlines one of Europe's best-preserved Renaissance town centers, dating to an era when Graz, not Vienna, was the capital.
Styria. Here you have the chance to visit one of Europe's oldest and still-revered religious pilgrimage sites, at Mariazell. The dramatic onward route northward can be accomplished by rail or road; the latter climbs to above 3,000 feet.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save $$ in Graz: Book Fr $67+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $6/night less
- Graz Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Gollner Fr $329+/Nt Save with Expedia, $16/night less
- Starting Fr $154: Great Graz Price — $154 Save with Hotels.com, $18/night less
- Romantik Park Graz on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $211+/Nt — $211 Expedia
- $161 & Up: Cheap Graz Stay — $161 Save with Hotels.com, $12/night less