- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Travelers who tackle Eastern Austria usually design their trip around three different destinations: The hilltop castles in Burgenland (land of castles); the city of Graz, whose preserved Old City is a time-warp marvel; and Rust, a charming village on Neusiedler Lake with good food, fine local wines, and roofs adorned with nesting storks.
If You Have 3 Days
Base yourself in the welcoming city of Graz, making day trips to Riegersburg, site of one of Austria's great defensive bastions, and Piber, home to the Lipizzaner Stud Farm, whose world-famous stallions perform at the Spanish Riding School in Vienna.
If you need to stick closer to Vienna, stay in Eisenstadt or in one of the small towns around Neusiedler Lake.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Starting Fr $116: Great Graz Price Save with Hotels.com, $6/night less
- Graz Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Gollner Fr $329+/Nt Save with Expedia, $16/night less
- 4-Star Mercure Graz City Fr $82+/Nt — $82 Save with Hotels.com, $81/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Graz Fr $211+/Nt — $211 Expedia
- 3-Star Mariahilf Fr $96+/Nt — $96 Save with Hotels.com, $142/night less