- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
St. Anton am Arlberg
Tucked between the entrance to the Arlberg Tunnel and the railway, St. Anton swarms with visitors at the height of the season. The wealthy, the prominent, including, occasionally, the royal, appear regularly—some even to enjoy the winter sports. Their presence boosts prices into the very-expensive-to-outrageous category, but if you shop around you can find accommodations outside the center of the action at a bearable price. St. Anton is a particularly lovely town in summer—which has also become a fashionable season.
Thanks to an amazing system of cable cars, double chairlift, and interconnected T-bars, St. Anton can access skiers to the Arlberg's region's enormous 300-odd km (200-odd mi) of marked runs. If you decide to take to the slopes, remember that skiing remains serious business in St. Anton: many slopes are so steep you'll be sharing them with mountain climbers.
The Original Ski Instructor
Modern ski techniques were first developed in the Vorarlberg by local Hannes Schneider (1890-1955), who as a young man was supposed to follow in his father's footsteps as a cheese maker. Instead, he founded the first ski school in St. Anton in 1921. This "Arlberg School" method, developed by Schneider in the '20s and '30s, laid down the basic principles since followed by skiing courses the world over.
St. Anton am Arlberg at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Innsbruck and Tirol
- Going, Ellmau and Söll
- Hall in Tirol
- Ischgl and Galtür
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Low Innsbruck Rate: Book Fr $142+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $130/night less
- Small budget: Book Dollinger Gasthof 3 Nts in May Fr $160+/Nt Save with Expedia, $16/night less
- 4-Star Art Binders Fr $80+/Nt — $80 Save with Hotels.com, $33/night less
- Special deal: 4-Star Tyrolis Fr $124+/Nt — $124 Expedia
- 4-Star Hilton Innsbruck Fr $153+/Nt — $153 Save with Hotels.com, $65/night less