- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Innsbruck makes a good starting point for exploring Tirol, but Tirol's gorgeous geography precludes the convenient loop tour from the capital city. You must go into the valleys to discover the charming villages and hotels, and a certain amount of backtracking is necessary. We've outlined four tours over familiar routes, touching on the best of the towns and suggesting side trips and some pleasures that are off the beaten track. Whether you mix or match these tours or do them all, they'll allow you to discover a cross section of Tirol's highlights: the old and the new, glossy resorts, medieval castles, and, always, that extraordinary scenery.
Innsbruck. A city that preserves the charm of ancient times, Innsbruck has everything to offer: interesting culture, stellar restaurants, and trendy nightclubs. It's the ideal starting point for visiting Tirol.
The Lower Inn Valley. Northeast of Innsbruck, this area is famous for the romantic old towns of Hall and Schwaz. It's adored by families and outdoors enthusiasts, and is one of Austria's most famous folk music regions.
The Road to Kitzbühel. Richly decorated farmhouses line the roads here. The sunny valley has plenty of snow in winter and golf in summer. Posh resorts and a renowned ski area make Kitzbühel the region's number one holiday destination.
West from Innsbruck. Located in the very heart of Tirol, the villages of Telfs and Imst are known for tradition and culture. The Ötz valley, with its long trekking routes and outdoor facilities, is one of Tirol's most beautiful valleys.
Landeck, Upper Inn Valley & St. Anton. The western part of Tirol is a winter heaven. Steep and challenging slopes, along with well-trained instructors, made St. Anton famous. High in the mountains are the towns of Ischgl and Galtür.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Innsbruck Savings! Book at Tyrolis Fr $127+/Nt Expedia
- 4-Star Austria Trend Congress Fr $158+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $14/night less
- Book in Innsbruck: Save at the Alp Innsbruck in May Fr $190+/Nt — $190 Expedia
- 5-Star Grand Europa Fr $200+/Nt — $200 Save with Hotels.com, $23/night less
- Innsbruck Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $141+/Nt — $141 Save with Expedia, $23/night less