- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Salzburg Hotel Reviews
It's difficult for a Salzburg hotel not to have a good location—you can find a room with a stunning view over the Kapuzinerberg or Gaisberg or one that simply overlooks a lovely Old City street—but it's possible. Salzburg is not a tiny town, and location is important. It's best to be near the historic city center; it's about a mile from the railway station to historic Zentrum (center), right around the main bridge of the Staatsbrücke. The Old City has a wide assortment of hotels and pensions, but there are few bargains. Also note that many hotels in this area have to be accessed on foot, as cars are not permitted on many streets. If you have a car, you may opt for a hotel or converted castle on the outskirts of the city. Many hostelries are charmingly decorated in Bauernstil—the rustic look of Old Austria; the ultimate in peasant-luxe is found at the world-famous Hotel Goldener Hirsch.
If you're looking for something really cheap (less than EUR 50 for a double), clean, and comfortable, stay in a private home, though the good ones are all a little way from downtown.
If you're planning to come at festival time (July and August), you must book as early as possible; try to reserve at least two months in advance. Prices soar over the already high levels—so much so that during the high season a hotel may edge into the next-higher price category.
Room rates include taxes and service charges. Many hotels include a breakfast in the room rate—check when booking—but the more expensive hostelries often do not. A property that provides breakfast and dinner daily is known as halb pension, and one that serves three meals a day is voll pension. If you don't have a reservation, go to one of the tourist information offices or the accommodations service (Zimmernachweis) on the main platform of the railway station.
Browse Salzburg Hotels
Browse Salzburg Hotels By Location
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Altstadt Kaisererbraeu on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $198+/Nt Save with Expedia, $94/night less
- Star Inn Salzburg Airport on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $90+/Nt Save with Expedia, $7/night less
- Save in Salzburg: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $134+/Nt — $134 Save with Expedia, $17/night less
- Save in Salzburg: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $135+/Nt — $135 Save with Expedia, $17/night less
- Book 3-Star Amadeus Fr $158+/Nt — $158 Save with Expedia, $15/night less