- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Steyr is one of Austria's best-kept secrets, a stunning Gothic market town that watches over the confluence of the Steyr and Enns rivers. Today the main square is lined with Baroque facades, many with Rococo trim, all complemented by the castle that sits above. The Bummerlhaus at No. 32, in its present form dating from 1497, has a late-Gothic look. On the Enns side, steps and narrow passageways lead down to the river. Across the River Steyr, St. Michael's Church, with its Bohemian cupolas and gable fresco, presides over the postcard-perfect scene. In the center of town is the Stadtplatz, lined with arcaded houses, along with a Rococo-era town hall and a late-Gothic burgher's house.
In Steyr you are close to the heart of Bruckner country. He composed his Sixth Symphony in the parish house here, and there is a Bruckner room in the Meserhaus, where he composed his "sonorous music to confound celestial spheres." Schubert also lived here for a time. So many of the houses are worthy of attention that you'll need to take your time and explore. Excitement is guaranteed if you accompany the night watchman on his tour of the historic center (for info, contact the tourist board). Given the quaintness of the town center, you'd hardly guess that in 1894 Steyr had Europe's first electric street lighting.
Steyr at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Danube Valley
- Bad Hall
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $194 & Up: Landgraf & Loft 4-Star Hotel in Linz Expedia
- May deal: Park Inn by Radisson Linz Fr $110+/Nt Save with Expedia, $13/night less