- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Driving is certainly the most comfortable way to see this region, as it conveniently enables you to pursue the byways. The main route along the north bank of the Danube is Route 3; along the south bank, there's a choice between the autobahn Route A1 and a collection of lesser but good roads. Roads are good and well marked, and you can switch over to the A1 autobahn, which parallels the general east-west course of the Danube Valley route. Car rental is best in Vienna or Linz.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Park Inn by Radisson Linz on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $113+/Nt Save with Expedia, $12/night less