- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Fast services from Vienna run as far as Stockerau; beyond that, service is less frequent. Rail lines parallel the north and south banks of the Danube, and while trains reach all the larger towns and cities in the region, they miss the smaller towns of the Wachau Valley along the Danube's south bank. You can combine rail and boat transportation along this route, taking the train upstream and crisscrossing your way back on the river.
ÖBB—Österreichisches Bundesbahn. 05/1717. www.oebb.at.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save at 4-Star Park Inn by Radisson Linz: $107 & Up in May Save with Expedia, $6/night less
- Book in Linz: Save at the Landgraf & Loft in May Fr $134+/Nt Expedia
- Save at 4-Star Park Inn by Radisson Linz: $107 & Up in May — $107 Save with Expedia, $6/night less
- Book in Linz: Save at the Landgraf & Loft in May Fr $134+/Nt — $134 Expedia