- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Munch on the Run
If you don't have time for a leisurely lunch, or you'd rather save your money for a splurge at dinner, here's a sampling of the best places in the city center to grab a quick, inexpensive, and tasty bite to eat.
Billa Corso. In the lower level of the Ringstrasse Galerie, the gourmet supermarket Billa Corso has a tasty salad bar and will prepare the sandwich of your choice at the deli counter. The shopping mall is in two similar buildings, so make sure you're in the one on the Kärntner Ring. Ringstrasse Galerie, Kärntner Ring 9-13, 1st District, Vienna, A-1010. 01/512-6625. Closed Sun.
Bizi Pizza. The best pizza by the slice can be found near St. Stephen's at Bizi Pizza. Rotenturmstrasse 4, 1st District, Vienna, A-1010. 01/513-3705.
Meinl am Graben. On the ground floor of Vienna's premier gourmet grocery store, Meinl am Graben is a smart café where you can choose from a selection of soups, sandwiches, or antipasti. Don't confuse it with the full-service restaurant upstairs. Graben 19, 1st District, Vienna, A-1010. 01/532-3334. Closed Sun.
Radatz. Near the Freyung, the epicurean deli Radatz offers made-to-order sandwiches from a vast selection of mouthwatering meats and cheeses. Schottengasse 3a, 1st District, Vienna, A-1010. 01/533-8163. Closed Sun.
Zum Schwarzen Kameel. Around the corner from Am Hof, Zum Schwarzen Kameel serves delicious open-faced sandwiches in its stand-up section. Bognergasse 5, 1st District, Vienna, A-1010. 01/533-8125. Closed Sun.
A sure way to spike a lively discussion among the Viennese is to ask which Würstelstand serves the most delicious grilled sausages. Here are three that are generally acknowledged to be the best:
Kiosk. This is no ordinary sausage stand. In the trendy Freihaus quarter, Kiosk serves excellent quality, scrumptious sausages from all over Europe. Schleifmühlgasse 7, 4th District, Vienna, A-1010. 585-4077.
Würstelstand Albertina. Considered by gourmets to be one of the best sausage stalls in the city center, Würstelstand Albertina entices passersby with its plump, sizzling bratwurst. It sits behind the Opera House. Philharmonikerstrasse and Hanuschgasse, 1st District, Vienna, A-1010.
Würstelstand am Hoher Markt. Hot on the trail of the "Best Sausage" appellation, Würstelstand am Hoher Markt is a stall serving the best Bürenwurst and American-style hot dogs. Hoher Markt, corner of Marc-Aurel-Strasse, 1st District, Vienna, A-1010.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Austrian Vacation! Flights to Vienna From 505 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Save at 4-Star Renaissance Wien: $113 & Up in May Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Book 4-Star NH Atterseehaus Suites in Vienna Fr $166+/Nt Save with Expedia, $30/night less
- Hot Deal on a 8 Nt Cruise! Avalon Waterways Fr $2,327 Expedia
- Small budget: Book The Art Vienna 3 Nts in May Fr $252+/Nt — $252 Save with Expedia, $118/night less