- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Vienna by Bike
Look for the special pathways either in red brick or marked with a stylized cyclist image in yellow; there are also special traffic signals at some intersections. You can take a bike on the subway (except during rush hours) for an additional half fare, but only in cars with a blue shield on the door, and only on stairs or elevators with the "bike" shield, not on escalators. The city tourist office has a brochure in German with useful cycling maps, plus a leaflet,"See Vienna by Bike," with tips in English. At most bookstores you can purchase a cycling map of Vienna put out by a local cycling organization known as ARGUS.
It's possible to rent bikes and rickshaws in the Prater. Radverleih Hochschaubahn is open mid-March to October and is in the Prater amusement park by the Hochschaubahn, slightly to the right after the Ferris wheel. 12/729-5888.
Pedal Power offers guided bike tours of Vienna and the surrounding vicinity in English from April to October, including the main sights of the city, or tours to the outlying vineyards for a glass of wine. It's also possible to rent a bike and do your own exploring (a half day, including hotel delivery and pickup, is five hours for €24; a full-day rental is €27. Rental for three hours including a guided tour is €23). Ausstellungsstrasse 3, 2nd District/Leopoldstadt, Vienna. 01/729-7234. www.pedalpower.at.
The cheapest way to discover Vienna in a saddle is with one of the handy Citybikes, available with a Citybike Tourist Card, Visa, or Master Card. After a short registration procedure hop in the saddle and off you go. Pick up the bike at one of the 54 Citybike stations all over the city. When you're finished, just deposit it at a vacant station anywhere you like. The first hour on your bike is free, the second costs €1, the third €2, and the fourth through 120th hours are €4.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Austrian Vacation! Flights to Vienna From 505 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Vienna Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Renaissance Wien Fr $113+/Nt Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- The Art Vienna on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $252+/Nt Save with Expedia, $118/night less
- Hot Deal on a 8 Nt Cruise! Avalon Waterways Fr $2,327 Expedia
- Vienna Savings! Book at Holiday Inn Vienna City Fr $176+/Nt — $176 Save with Expedia, $27/night less