- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
The Medieval Heart of the 1st District. Time seems to stand still in this part of Vienna, where hidden architectural treasures await discovery down narrow lanes and cobbled streets. This is certainly one of the quieter parts of the city.
Baroque Gems & Cozy Cafes. Sip a mélange while admiring the rich facades of Viennese aristocrats' former palatial homes from a comfy café. Waiters, dressed as if they're off to a ball, serve coffee and cakes to the regulars.
From Michaelerplatz to the Graben: Vienna's Shop Window. Check out ancient Roman ruins and the glass-fronted shops showcasing the fashion world's most famous labels. Make sure you don't miss the ultimate in patisserie pleasures at Demel's.
The Hofburg: An Imperial City. The huge former Habsburg winter abode for seven centuries now houses many of the belongings that the family left behind. The Imperial Treasury advertises with the slogan "We don't have the emperors but we do have their jewels."
The Ringstrasse: Gems of the "Ring." For many Vienna visitors, this is the most beautiful avenue in the world; for others it's a colossal mismatch of a myriad of styles. See what you think, but whatever you do, don't miss this.
From St. Stephen's to the Opera House. As you saunter down Kärntner Strasse, the main thoroughfare, remember to peek at the side streets and squares. Wander down these narrow paths to step out of the noisy shopper's world into one of peace and quiet.
South of the Ring to the Belvedere. Crossing Schwarzenbergplatz past equestrian monuments and grand fountains, you'll walk through the beautiful gardens of Prince Eugene's residence. The palace interior is filled with works by such artists as Klimt, Kokoschka, and Schiele.
The Habsburgs' Schönbrunn Palace. Allow plenty of time for this petite version of Versailles, to be able to see the oldest zoo in the world, the huge, incredibly beautiful park and gardens, and an amazing maze. This is not the most frequently visited site in Austria for nothing.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Austrian Vacation! Flights to Vienna From 505 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Vienna Savings! Book at The Art Vienna Fr $128+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Vienna: Save this May Fr $654+/Nt Save with Expedia, $248/night less
- Hot Deal on a 8 Nt Cruise! Avalon Waterways Fr $2,327 Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Vienna this May Fr $132+/Nt — $132 Expedia