- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
While Brussels technically includes 19 communes, or suburbs, most sights, hotels, and restaurants are clustered in the center. Locals simply call this the centre, but the tours here distinguish a Lower Town and Upper Town. The Lower Town is physically lower, including the area around the Grand'Place and the Bourse. A steep slope leads to the Upper Town, around rue de la Régence, place Royale, and the Sablon squares. If you're arriving at Gare Centrale, a new underground passageway links the lower concourse level directly with the Marché aux Herbes in the Lower Town, close to the Grand'Place.
Detailed maps of the Brussels public transportation network are available in most metro stations and at the Tourist Information Brussels in the Grand'Place. Get a map free with a Brussels Card (also available at the tourist office), which allows you free public transport and free admission at more than 30 museums, plus other discounts. Cards cost €24, €34, and €40 for one, two, and three days respectively. Before deciding on a card, know that most museums are closed Mondays.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Belgian Holiday! Flights to Brussels From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Stay 3 nights or more and SAVE: Metropole in May Save with Expedia, $29/night less
- Visit Brussels for Less: Hotels Fr $102+/Nt Travelocity
- Brussels Savings! Book at Husa President Park Fr $90+/Nt — $90 Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- Brussels Savings! Book at The Dominican Fr $198+/Nt — $198 Save with Expedia, $19/night less