- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Agritourism in Istria
Given the vast tourism infrastructure you see along the Istrian coast, not to mention the number of picturesque swimming coves that dot the coastline, you might be forgiven for thinking that the hinterlands—whether Motovun or Groznjan or beyond—are nice places to visit for the day or for the evening, but that the coast is the place to be when night falls. In fact, Istria has been at the forefront of Croatia's efforts to expand tourism into the countryside with a program to promote "agritourism," where visitors stay at family farms. Farm vacations come in many shapes and sizes in Istria. Many are more like estates and deliver something along the lines of a gourmet vacation with just enough of a rustic touch to remind you that you are not vacationing at a resort.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2999 -- Croatia: 8-Night Escorted Trip w/Roundtrip Airfare Friendly Planet Travel