- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Although local buses and ferries are an excellent, stress-free method of touring the region (buses are scheduled in tandem with the docking of ferries, so don't fear that you'll be left stranded at an empty dock), touring the Kvarner by car does offer the opportunity to nose your way around some of the smaller and more remote villages on the islands and up in the mountains. In addition, despite a poor safety record and heavy traffic in high season, there are few roads more scenic than the Magistrala. A car is also useful if you plan to leave Kvarner and head for Istria (passing through the Ucka Tunnel). However, good train and bus services to Zagreb and a comfortable overnight ferry to Dalmatia mean that a vehicle is not really essential for moving on to other areas.
Avis (Rijecki lukobran bb, Rijeka, 51000. 051/311-135. www.avis.com.hr.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2999 -- Croatia: 8-Night Escorted Trip w/Roundtrip Airfare Friendly Planet Travel