- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A Word about Wine
The island of Hvar makes some of Croatia's top wines. On the south coast, the steep, rugged, seaward-facing slopes between the villages of Sveti Nedelja and Ivan Dolac produce full-bodied reds, made predominantly from the plavac mali grape. In contrast, the vineyards in the flat valley between Stari Grad and Jelsa on the north side produce whites, such as the greenish-yellow Bogdanusa.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $699 & up -- Oceanview: Roundtrip Venice Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $549 & up -- Last Minute: Greek Islands and Turkey Cruise — $549 Royal Caribbean