- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
As in many another coastal city, you can feel free to take a short dip off the quay in the Old Town—the most atmospheric place to do so being the Riva promenade and especially the tip of the peninsula directly over the Sea Organ, as nature's music accompanies your strokes. But for a more tranquil swim, head to the Kolovare district, just southeast of the Old Town, with its long stretch of park-flanked beach punctuated here and there by restaurants and cafés. This is not to mention the resort complex in Borik, where relatively shallow waters and a sandy bottom may be more amenable to kids. Last but not least, by driving or bussing it 30 minutes north along the coast you can reach the famously sandy beaches of Zaton and Nin. For true peace and quiet, though, your best bet is an excursion by ferry and then on foot, by bicycle, or in a rental car out to some more isolated stretch of beach on an island of the Zadar archipelago.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe