- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
That Samobor has been one of the capital's top weekend haunts since before the turn of the 20th century without really being on the way to anything else in Croatia testifies to its abounding cultural and natural charms. Close to the Slovenian border, this picturesque medieval town on the eastern slopes of the lushly forested Samoborsko Gorje was chartered by the Hungarian-Croatian king Bela IV in 1242. The town and environs are popular with hikers, with trails leading into the hillside right from the center of town. Perched there, a 30-minute walk from town—and visible in all its sublimity from the main square—are the ruins of a 13th-century castle. And what would a visit to Samobor be without a stroll along Gradna, the peaceful stream that runs through town?
After an energetic hike, you may wish to fortify yourself with a glass of locally made bermet, a vermouthlike drink whose secret recipe was apparently brought here by French forces during their occupation of 1809 to 1813.
Samobor at a Glance
Elsewhere in Zagreb and Environs
- Cakovec and the Medimurje
- Marija Bistrice
- Nacionalni Park Plitvicka Jezera
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Croatia Awaits You! Flights to Zagreb From 535 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Movie on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $88+/Nt Expedia
- May deal: Sheraton Zagreb Fr $113+/Nt Save with Expedia, $44/night less
- Save in Zagreb: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $117+/Nt — $117 Expedia
- Esplanade Zagreb in May: $194 & Up — $194 Save with Expedia, $28/night less