- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Winters here can be bone-chillingly cold, with days that are overcast and dark (the sun tends to set by 5 pm). The maximum average temperature in December and January is 32°F, and the mercury frequently drops to the low 20sF. Things improve substantially in spring and summer. By July you can expect around 10 hours of sunshine per day. Showers, moreover, are infrequent and usually light and short, and temperatures hover in the high 70sF. Fall brings slightly cooler temperatures in the 60sF, as well as a riotous display of autumn foliage in parts of the city and countryside.
The words we use to designate different months are derived from Latin names and numbers. Czechs, on the other hand, use native words for climate-related events to reflect the importance of the four seasons. For instance, únor (our February) means "melting ice," and listopad (our November) means "falling leaves."
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Enjoy the Czech Republic! Flights to Prague From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- $93 & Up: Royal Court 4-Star Hotel in Prague Save with Expedia, $13/night less
- Book Now & Save! Prague Fr $108+/Nt Travelocity
- 4-Star Prague Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1307 Expedia
- $6,179 & Up: See Prague with Uniworld Boutique Cruises 16 Nts Expedia