- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Karlovy Vary is a town made for staying active in the outdoors. Exercise was often part of the treatment during the heyday of the resort, and the air quality here is markedly superior to that of Prague or other industrialized towns in the Czech Republic. Hiking trails snake across the beech-and pine-covered hills that surround the town on three sides. If you walk past the Grandhotel Pupp, away from the center, and follow the paved walkway that runs alongside the river for about 10 minutes, you will discover a Japanese garden.
Karlovy Vary's warm, open-air public pool on top of the Thermal Hotel offers the experience of swimming at a cozy bathtub temperature even in the coolest weather; the view over the town is outstanding. Even if you are not staying at the hotel, you can still take a dip in the waters for 80 Kc per hour. I. P. Pavlova, Karlovy Vary, Bohemia, 360 01.
The Karlovy Vary Golf Club is just out of town on the road to Prague; greens fees are 2,000 Kc for 18 holes. Prazská 125, Karlovy Vary, Bohemia, 360 01. 353-331-001. www.golfresort.cz.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 4-Star Romance Puskin Fr $159+/Nt Expedia
- Advance Purchase Special - non-refundable: Garni Kucera in May Save with Expedia, $6/night less