- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Where to Try Danish Beer
Beer remains a defining element of Danish culture. In fact, Denmark has the most breweries per capita of any country in the world. Although the traditional Carlsberg and Tuborg pilsner varieties are still the main options at most bars and restaurants, there are more brews on offer than ever before. The number of brewpubs with handcrafted brews has increased, and so has the number of places offering beer-pairing menus.
Charlie's Bar. Charlie's Bar has 19 drafts, six of which are cask-conditioned ale—unfiltered, unpasteurized beer served from casks. There's a wide range of international and Danish beer, including the house lagers Hancock and Thisted. Pilestr. 33, Centrum, Copenhagen, 1112. 33/32-22-89. www.charlies.dk.
Ølbaren. This local favorite carries about 115 Danish and international beers by the bottle and 9 on tap. It also offers beer tastings "on demand." Elmegade 2, Nørrebro, Copenhagen, 2200. 35/35-45-34. www.oelbaren.dk.
Brew Pub. The Brew Pub microbrewery and restaurant has a beer garden. There are 11 beers on tap as well as a beer-sampler menu and dishes made using beer. Vestergade 29, Centrum, Copenhagen, 1456. 33/32-00-60. www.brewpub.dk.
Nørrebro Bryghus. At one of Denmark's most popular brewpubs, there's a tempting beer-pairing menu; tours of its brewing facility are also available. Ryesgade 3, Nørrebro, Copenhagen, 2200. 35/30-05-30. www.noerrebrobryghus.dk.
Carlsberg Visitors Center & The Jacobsen Brewhouse. Inside a building dating from 1860 at the original brewery, you can take a self-guided tour to learn about all things Carlsberg. Admission includes two beers in the Jacobsen brewpub at the end of the tour, which takes approximately 1½ hours. To get here take bus 26 (the trip takes 10-15 minutes from Centrum). Gammel Carlsberg Vej 11, Vesterbro, Copenhagen, 1799. 33/27-12-82. www.visitcarlsberg.com. DKr 70. Closed Mon.
Mikkeller. Brewer Mikkel Borg Bjergsø likes to say that he wanted to create the world's best bar in Mikkeller. It may be a tall order, considering that it's housed in a cramped basement, but the microbrews served here certainly are world-class. Viktoriagade 8BC, Centrum, Copenhagen, 1655. 33/31 04 15. mikkeller.dk.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Now & Save! Flights to Copenhagen From 505 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Book Now & Save! Copenhagen Fr $160+/Nt Travelocity
- Book 3 Nts in Copenhagen this May Fr $250+/Nt Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 14 Nt Cruise! Norwegian Cruise Line Fr $1,759 Expedia
- Small budget: Book Copenhagen Island 3 Nts in May Fr $291+/Nt — $291 Save with Expedia, $124/night less