- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
There are many ways to take in the city. The tourist office monitors all tours and has brochures on the various operators and trips. Most tours run through the summer into September.
More Danes bike to work than they do drive. Bikes are well suited to Copenhagen's flat terrain, rentals are readily available, and most roads have bike lanes. Rentals cost DKr 75-DKr 300 a day, with a deposit of DKr 500-DKr 1,000. You may also be lucky enough to find a free city bike chained up at racks in various spots around town, including Nørreport and Nyhavn. Just insert a DKr 20 coin; you'll get it back upon returning the bike.
City Safari. On these bike tours, the guides not only point out main attractions and provide helpful travel information, but also give some insight into the daily routines of the Danes. There's a a tour of historic sites as well as a Copenhagen by Night trip and other theme tours. The tours are available in several languages, including English, Danish, German, Spanish, and French; prices range from Dkr 250-400. Tom Kristensensvej 28, Amager, Copenhagen, 2300. 33/23-94-90. www.citysafari.dk.
DFDS Canal Tours. A one-hour Harbor and Canal Tour leaves from Gammel Strand and Nyhavn every half hour in summer (heated and roofed boats are in service throughout most of the winter). The company also organizes lunch and dinner cruises. 32/96-30-00. www.canaltours.dk.
Netto-Boats. Just south of the embarkation point for DFDS Canal Tours is Netto-Boats, which offers hour-long tours for about half the price of its competitors. 32/54-41-02. www.havnerundfart.dk.
Copenhagen Coach Service/Paaske Bus. The Grand Tour of Copenhagen (2½ hours) offered by this company includes Rosenborg Castle, Tivoli, the Glyptotek, the Danish Parliament, the Stock Exchange, the Danish Royal Theater, Nyhavn, Amalienborg Castle, and the Little Mermaid. The City Tour (1½ hours) is more general. The one-hour Open Top Tours are given on double-deckers that allow you to embark and disembark along the route all day with one ticket. 32/66-00-00. www.sightseeing.dk.
Copenhagen Walking Tours. Four two-hour English-language tours are available. In addition to tours related to culture and city history, they offer a Hans Christian Andersen-theme walk and a tour of Jewish Copenhagen. 40/81-12-17. www.copenhagen-walkingtours.dk.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Now & Save! Flights to Copenhagen From 505 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Save in Copenhagen: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $111+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Copenhagen for Less: Hotels Fr $191+/Nt Travelocity
- Explore Copenhagen with Princess Cruises, 11 Nts Fr $999 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Copenhagen Fr $294+/Nt — $294 Save with Expedia, $126/night less