- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Copenhagen Restaurant Reviews
Copenhagen, considered Scandinavia's culinary capital, has experienced a gastronomical revolution over the past decade. There's no shortage of talented chefs and innovative, fine-dining experiences. A rising interest in a concept known as new Nordic cooking has put an emphasis on the use of locally sourced raw materials and high-quality seasonal ingredients. Wild game, cured or smoked fish and meats, and specialties like Limfjord oysters, Læsø langoustine, as well as eel and plaice are a few examples.
There's also been a revival of traditional Danish fare and keeping age-old traditions alive. Don't miss the chance to try pickled or smoked herring, smørrebrød (open-face sandwiches), a street-side pølser (sausage), and the famous Danish pastries.
There are plenty of bistros serving moderately priced meals, and if you're looking for even more affordable fare, try one of the city's ethnic restaurants, which are concentrated in Vesterbro, Nørrebro, and the side streets off Strøget. For inexpensive savory noshes in stylish surroundings, consider lingering in a café.
A good number of restaurants offer fixed-priced menus with wine-pairing menus, and most restaurants require reservations. Many restaurants tack a surcharge of between 3.75% and 5.75% to the bill for the use of foreign credit cards, so you can save good money by paying cash.
Browse Copenhagen Restaurants
Browse Copenhagen Restaurants By Location
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Now & Save! Flights to Copenhagen From 505 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Copenhagen Fr $472+/Nt Save with Expedia, $202/night less
- Visit Copenhagen for Less: Hotels Fr $189+/Nt Travelocity
- 21 Nt Cruise! See Europe with Norwegian Cruise Line Fr $2,959 Expedia
- Destination Denmar! Travel to Copenhagen From $947 RT — $947+ STA Travel