- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Rosenborg Slot Review
The Dutch Renaissance Rosenborg Castle contains ballrooms, halls, and reception chambers, but for all of its grandeur there's an intimacy that makes you think the king might return any minute. Thousands of objects are displayed, including beer glasses, gilded clocks, golden swords, family portraits, a pearl-studded saddle, and gem-encrusted tables; the underground treasury contains the crown jewels. The castle's setting is equally welcoming: it's in the middle of the Kongens Have (King's Garden), amid lawns, park benches, and shady walking paths.
King Christian IV built Rosenborg Castle as a summer residence but loved it so much that he ended up living here until his death. In 1849, when the absolute monarchy was abolished, all the royal castles became state property, except for Rosenborg, which is still passed down from monarch to monarch.
- Address: Øster Voldgade 4A, Centrum, Copenhagen, 1350 | Map It
- Phone: 33/15-32-86
- Cost: DKr 80
- Hours: Castle and Treasury: June--Aug. daily 10--5, Sept.--Oct. daily 10--4. Castle: Nov.--mid-Dec., Tues.--Sun. 11--2. Treasury: Nov.--mid-Dec., Tues.--Sun. 11--4.
- Website: dkks.dk
- Location: Copenhagen
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Now & Save! Flights to Copenhagen From 505 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Copenhagen Savings! Book at Wakeup CopenHagen Fr $242+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Copenhagen for Less: Hotels Fr $189+/Nt Travelocity
- Explore Europe with Royal Caribbean International Fr $1,049 Expedia
- Destination Denmar! Travel to Copenhagen From $947 RT — $947+ STA Travel
Friday afternoon-Our family planned a weekend trip to Copenhagen in April. Read more
So, I'm back from my amazing 3 week trip in Scandinavia with my dad. It was epic! And since not many people on this board know the finer details of traversing these beautiful countries I thought I share Read more
I am in the planning process of a trip to Scandinavia this fall. Read more