- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Copenhagen's best-known attraction, conveniently next to its main train station, attracts an astounding 4 million people from mid-April to mid-September. Tivoli is more than just an amusement park: among its attractions are a pantomime theater, an open-air stage, 38 restaurants (some of them very elegant), and frequent concerts, which cover the spectrum from classical to rock to jazz. Fantastic flower exhibits color the lush gardens and float on the swan-filled ponds.
The park was established in the 1840s, when Danish architect George Carstensen persuaded a worried King Christian VIII to let him build an amusement park on the edge of the city's fortifications, rationalizing that "when people amuse themselves, they forget politics." The Tivoli Guard, a youth version of the Queen's Royal Guard, performs every day. Try to see Tivoli at least once by night, when 100,000 colored lanterns illuminate the Chinese pagoda and the main fountain. Some evenings there are also fireworks displays. Call to check the season's opening and closing dates as well as family discounts. Tivoli is also open select hours around Halloween and from mid-November until late December.
- Address: Vesterbrog. 3, (on border of Vesterbro district), Centrum, Copenhagen, 1630 | Map It
- Phone: 33/15-10-01
- Cost: Grounds: DKr 95. Unlimited ride pass: DKr 199
- Hours: Apr.--Sept., Sun.--Thurs. 11 am to 10 or 11 pm, Fri. 11 am--12:30 am, Sat. 11--midnight
- Website: www.tivoli.dk
- Location: Copenhagen
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Now & Save! Flights to Copenhagen From 505 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Copenhagen Savings! Book at Hellerup Park Fr $250+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Copenhagen for Less: Hotels Fr $191+/Nt Travelocity
- Explore Copenhagen with Princess Cruises, 11 Nts Fr $999 Expedia
- Copenhagen Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $291+/Nt — $291 Save with Expedia, $124/night less
Friday afternoon-Our family planned a weekend trip to Copenhagen in April. Read more
So, I'm back from my amazing 3 week trip in Scandinavia with my dad. It was epic! And since not many people on this board know the finer details of traversing these beautiful countries I thought I share Read more
We are a group of Danish students that would really appreciate if you would take 1 minute of your time to answer this questionnaire.
Our goal is to get some information on traveling habits of backpackers Read more