- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
All major international car-rental agencies are represented in Copenhagen; most are at Copenhagen Airport or near Vesterport Station. The E20 highway, via bridges, connects Jutland with Funen, and goes on to Copenhagen. Farther north, from Århus (in Jutland) you can get direct auto-catamaran service to Kalundborg (on Zealand). From there, Route 23 leads to Roskilde, about 72 km (45 mi) east. Take Route 21 east and follow the signs to Copenhagen, another 40 km (25 mi).
The trip over the Øresund Bridge to Malmö, Sweden takes about 45 minutes, and the steep bridge toll stands at DKr 260 per car.
If you're only planning to sightsee in central Copenhagen, however, a car won't be convenient. Parking spaces are at a premium and, when available, are expensive. A maze of one-way streets and bicycle lanes make it even more complicated. If you're going to drive, choose a small car that's easy to parallel park and bring a lot of small change to feed the meters.
Avis (Kampmannsg. 1, Vesterbro, Copenhagen, 1604. 70/24-77-07. www.avis.dk.)
Hertz (Ved Vesterport 3, Vesterbro, Copenhagen, 1620. 33/17-90-20. www.hertzdk.dk.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Now & Save! Flights to Copenhagen From 505 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Visit Copenhagen for Less: Hotels Fr $189+/Nt Travelocity
- Book 5-Star Copenhagen Marriott in Copenhagen Fr $598+/Nt Expedia
- Cruise deals to Copenhagen with Costa Cruises, 7 Nts Fr $899 Expedia
- Destination Denmar! Travel to Copenhagen From $947 RT — $947+ STA Travel