It's no coincidence that Odense, the capital of Funen and third-largest city in Denmark, is reminiscent of a storybook village—much of its charm is built upon the legend of its most famous son, author Hans Christian Andersen. The town is named after another famous Scandinavian, Odin, the king of the Nordic gods.
Odense at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Odense: Save at the AnsGar in May Fr $135+/Nt Expedia
- May deal: Radisson Blu H.C. Andersen , Odense Fr $194+/Nt Save with Expedia, $27/night less
- Book 3 Nts in Odense this May Fr $120+/Nt — $120 Expedia
- May deal: Radisson Blu H.C. Andersen , Odense Fr $194+/Nt — $194 Save with Expedia, $27/night less
- Book in Odense: Save at the AnsGar in May Fr $135+/Nt — $135 Expedia