- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
Kolding is an interesting city that screams "design." It's the home of the Danish School of Art & Design, as important to this country as the Parsons School of Design is to the United States, or the Ontario College of Art & Design is to Canada. It's also a link between other Scandinavian cities (Malmö, Sweden, is 250 km away and Hamburg, Germany, is only 250 km away). The city is home to 63,000 residents and is the seventh-largest town in Denmark. It's near the country's second-largest international airport at Billund.
The city itself is a pleasing blend of old and new, with a historical center of cobbled streets and brightly painted half-timber houses that give way to industrial suburbs. But what attracts many visitors is the Trapholt Museum of Modern Art, which has an extensive collection of Danish artworks and furniture. Complementing this museum is, oddly, the Koldinghus, an imposing stone structure from the Middle Ages that itself won a couple of international design awards in the 20th century.
Kolding at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the Helnan Phonix 3 Nts in May Fr $168+/Nt Save with Expedia, $7/night less
- Book in Aalborg: Save this May Fr $194+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Aarhus Fr $88+/Nt — $88 Save with Hotels.com, $7/night less
- Small budget: Book Helnan Marselis 3 Nts in May Fr $229+/Nt — $229 Expedia
- Explore Aarhus For Less! Book Fr $84+/Nt — $84 Save with Hotels.com, $28/night less