- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
Trapholt Museum for Moderne Kunst (Trapholt Museum of Modern Art)
Trapholt Museum for Moderne Kunst (Trapholt Museum of Modern Art) Review
Just east of town is the Trapholt Museum for Moderne Kunst, one of Denmark's largest—and most highly acclaimed—modern-art museums. Rising over the banks of the Kolding Fjord, this sprawling white complex has been artfully incorporated into its surroundings, affording lovely water and parkland views from its floor-to-ceiling windows. A collection of 20th-century Danish paintings is displayed in the light-filled galleries; it includes works by Anna Ancher, Ejler Bille, Egill Jakobsen, J. A. Jerichau, Jais Nielsen, Richard Mortensen, Aksel Jørgensen, and Franciska Clausen. A true highlight is the Danish Furniture Museum, housed in a specially designed annex that is accessed via a circular ramp topped by a skylight. The superbly displayed collection includes the world's largest assemblage of Danish-designed chairs, offering a unique historical overview of the birth and popularization of the nation's furniture design. The museum keeps its furniture storage room open to the public, so you can peruse the entire collection even when it's not officially on display.
The Danish ceramics collection, one of the largest in Denmark, is also well worth a look, featuring works by Thorvald Bindesbøll and one-of-a-kind ceramics by Axel Salto, whose pieces often resemble living organisms. Famous designer Arne Jacobsen's summer cottage was moved to Trapholt and opened on its grounds. Café Trapholt serves coffee, beverages, and light meals. The gift shop sells local and international art and design-related gifts.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the Helnan Phonix 3 Nts in May Fr $168+/Nt Save with Expedia, $7/night less
- Book in Aalborg: Save this May Fr $194+/Nt Expedia
- Book 4-Star Radisson Blu Scandinavia , Aarhus Fr $205+/Nt — $205 Save with Expedia, $23/night less
- Explore Aarhus For Less! Book Fr $84+/Nt — $84 Save with Hotels.com, $28/night less
- Small budget: Book Helnan Marselis 3 Nts in May Fr $229+/Nt — $229 Expedia
Friday afternoon-Our family planned a weekend trip to Copenhagen in April. Read more
So, I'm back from my amazing 3 week trip in Scandinavia with my dad. It was epic! And since not many people on this board know the finer details of traversing these beautiful countries I thought I share Read more
We are a group of Danish students that would really appreciate if you would take 1 minute of your time to answer this questionnaire.
Our goal is to get some information on traveling habits of backpackers Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more