- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
This town of 30,000 is the center of what is marketed as a "holiday region" of the country—indeed, there are four castles in this area alone. It's deep in southeast Jutland, and has its own airport and train and bus stations. It's the obvious base for a visit to the island of Als, Denmark's seventh largest, which is connected by two bridges from Sønderborg (and a car ferry just north of the town).
Southern Jutland was part of Germany between 1864 and 1920, and because of this the art nouveau movement flourished in Sønderborg, whereas in other parts of Denmark the preference was for a traditional arts and crafts style. Sønderborg is a wonderful spot for a walking tour, admiring the buildings constructed between 1905 and 1915. A brochure explaining the route is available from the local tourist office.
Sønderborg at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 4-Star BEST WESTERN Scheelsminde Fr $139+/Nt Save with Expedia, $20/night less
- Small budget: Stay in Aalborg this May Fr $179+/Nt Expedia
- Small budget: Book Helnan Phonix 3 Nts in May Fr $164+/Nt — $164 Save with Expedia, $7/night less
- Save $$ in Aarhus: Book Fr $87+/Nt — $87 Save with Hotels.com, $7/night less
- 4-Star Radisson Blu Scandinavia , Aarhus Fr $156+/Nt — $156 Save with Hotels.com, $321/night less