Banks are open 9:30 to 4 most weekdays (though many have hours until 5:30 or 6 on Thursday). Shops are open from 9:30 or 10 to 5 or 6 weekdays, Saturday from 9 to 5, and are closed on Sunday. Monday is the most common day for museums to go dark. Major holidays include: New Years Eve and Day, Holy (Maundy) Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Monday, Ascension (40 days after Easter), Whitsun/Pentecost (Sunday and Monday 10 days after Ascension), Constitution Day (June 5), Midsummer Eve and Day (late June), Christmas Eve and Day, and Boxing Day (day after Christmas).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe