East Anglia Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Eating Well in East Anglia
Farmland and the rivers and sea provide ample bounty for the table in East Anglia. Look for area specialties, such as duckling, Norfolk black turkey, hare, and partridge, on menus around the region. In Norwich, there's no escaping the hot, bright-yellow Colman's mustard, which is perfect smeared gingerly on some sausage and mash. A traditional cure for sore feet involves soaking them in hot water mixed with a few teaspoons of powdered mustard. Among the culinary treats from the sea is samphire, a delicious plant that grows in the salt marshes along the North Norfolk and Suffolk coasts. The long coastline also provides tasty Cromer crabs and Yarmouth bloaters (a kind of smoked herring). Brancaster and Stiffkey mussels, Sheringham lobster, and Thornham oysters are all seafood highlights worth indulging in while visiting North Norfolk. Eel, a delicacy in the fens, is served smoked or jellied. Maldon sea salt is another famous local product. Sample fresh fish-and-chips on the Suffolk Coast, especially in Aldeburgh, where local creations have gained national recognition.
For liquid refreshment, Adnams, Greene King, and Tolly Cobbold are major ale producers, and a pint of Suffolk cider is usually a good accompaniment to the local food. There's an equally venerable, though lesser know, tradition of winemaking in the region. The Romans first introduced vines to Britain, and they took especially well here. Today East Anglia has more than 40 vineyards; check wine lists in local restaurants.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 3-Star Holiday Inn Cambridge Fr $145+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $102/night less
- Book 3-Star Holiday Inn Cambridge in Cambridge Fr $178+/Nt Expedia
- Explore Cambridge For Less! Book Fr $332+/Nt — $332 Hotels.com
- Book in Cambridge: Save at the University Arms in May Fr $296+/Nt — $296 Expedia
- 4-Star University Arms Fr $177+/Nt — $177 Save with Hotels.com, $138/night less