East Anglia Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Punting on the Cam
To punt is to maneuver a flat-bottom, wooden, gondola-like boat—in this case, through the shallow River Cam along the verdant Backs behind the colleges of Cambridge. One benefit of this popular activity is that you get a better view of the ivy-covered walls from the water. Mastery of the sport lies in your ability to control a 15-foot pole, used to propel the punt. With a bottle of wine, some food, and a few friends, you may find yourself saying things such as, "It doesn't get any better than this." One piece of advice: if your pole gets stuck, let go. You can use the smaller paddle to go back and retrieve it. Hang on to a stuck punt for too long and you'll probably fall in with it.
The lazier-at-heart may prefer chauffeured punting, with food supplied. Students from Cambridge often do the work, and you get a fairly informative spiel on the colleges. For a romantic evening trip, there are illuminated punts.
One university punting society once published a useful "Bluffer's Guide to Punting" featuring detailed instructions and tips on how to master the art. It can still be found online at duramecho.com/Misc/HowToPunt.html.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save $$ in Cambridge: Book Fr $158+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $17/night less
- Book 3-Star Holiday Inn Cambridge in Cambridge Fr $167+/Nt Expedia
- 4-Star University Arms Fr $178+/Nt — $178 Save with Hotels.com, $131/night less
- Book in Cambridge Fr $109+/Nt — $109 Save with Hotels.com, $15/night less
- $83 & Up: Cheap Cambridge Stay — $83 Hotels.com