- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
It used to be said that Norwich had a pub for each day of the year and a church in which to repent for every Sunday. Although this is no longer true, real ales and steeples (including that of its grand cathedral) are still much in evidence in this pleasant city of 130,000. The University of East Anglia brings a cosmopolitan touch, including a lively arts scene, to an otherwise remote urban area. It's a good base from which to explore the Norfolk Broads and the coast.
Established by the Saxons because of its prime trading position on the rivers Yare and Wensum, the town sits in the triangle between the two waterways. The inner beltway follows the line of the old city wall, much of which is still visible. It's worth walking or driving around after dark to see the floodlit buildings. By the time of the Norman Conquest, Norwich was one of the largest towns in England, although much was destroyed by the Normans to create a new town. You can see the old flint buildings as you walk down the medieval streets and alleyways. Despite some industrial sites and many modern shopping centers, the town remains engaging.
Norwich at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in East Anglia
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save $$ in Cambridge: Book Fr $158+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $17/night less
- Book 3-Star Holiday Inn Cambridge in Cambridge Fr $167+/Nt Expedia
- 4-Star University Arms Fr $178+/Nt — $178 Save with Hotels.com, $131/night less
- Book in Cambridge Fr $109+/Nt — $109 Save with Hotels.com, $15/night less
- $83 & Up: Cheap Cambridge Stay — $83 Hotels.com