- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Speedwell Cavern Review
The area's most exciting cavern by far is Speedwell Cavern, where 105 slippery steps lead down to old lead-mine tunnels, blasted out by 19th-century miners. Here you transfer to a small boat for the claustrophobic ¼-mile chug through an illuminated access tunnel to the cavern itself. At this point you're 600 feet underground, in the deepest public-access cave in Britain, with views farther down to the so-called Bottomless Pit, a water-filled cavern. An on-site shop sells items made of the Blue John mineral. Speedwell Cavern is at the bottom of Winnats Pass, 1 mile west of Castleton.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1799 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
I realized that my other ongoing report ("UK TR, so far)" was now misnamed....so I am finishing here. I started it on the 2nd (or so) day of our trip, but now we have been at home for several days.
The Read more
Again, as promised a separate thread that will be easily searchable. Read more
Thanks to everyone for the guidance on my first post. Read more
· News & Features
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger?... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more