- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Museum of London
Museum of London Review
If there's one place to absorb the history of London, from 450,000 BC to the present day, it's here: Oliver Cromwell's death mask, Queen Victoria's crinoline gowns, Selfridges' art deco elevators, the London's Burning exhibition, fans, guns and jewelry, an original Newgate Prison Door, and the incredible late-18th-century Blackett Dolls House—7,000 objects to wonder at in all. The museum appropriately shelters a section of the 2nd- to 4th-century London wall, which you can view through a window, and permanent displays highlight Pre-Roman, Roman, Medieval, and Tudor London. The Galleries of Modern London are equally enthralling: experience the "Expanding City," "People's City," and "World City," each gallery dealing with a section of London's history from 1666 until the 21st century. Innovative interactive displays abound, and you can even wander around a 19th-century London street with impressively detailed shopfronts and interiors, including a pawnbrokers, a pub, a barber, and a bank manager's office, in case you're running short on holiday money. There's also a fine schedule of temporary exhibitions.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
As promised I am making recommendations for places as separate threads so that they will be easily searchable when others are looking for recommendations.
Pubs: (New Town)
The Queen's Arms (Frederick Read more
First timer here...have been go-ogling last couple of weeks for planning my first trip to Europe
Every search throws up some Fodor forum link...and have been very impressed by the people who Read more
· News & Features
It's been about 18,000 hard day's nights (er, 50 years) since The Beatles changed rock 'n' roll. ... Read more
A trophy trip for teens, a storybook vacay for toddlers, a sophisticated city break for grown-ups... Londo... Read more
Despite the season finale, Dan Stevens (aka Matthew Crawley) was on hand to host the Big British Invite... Read more