- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Keats House Review
It was in February 1820 that John Keats (1795-1821) coughed blood up into his handkerchief and exclaimed, "That drop of blood is my death warrant. I must die." He duly left his beloved home in Hampstead and moved to Rome, where he died of consumption, at just 25. Here you can see the plum tree under which the young Romantic poet composed Ode to a Nightingale; many of his original manuscripts; his library; and other possessions he managed to acquire in his short life. There are frequent guided tours and special events, such as poetry readings. The house has been restored to its original Regency style of decoration, and the design of the gardens is inspired by elements of Keats' poetry, such as "autumn" and "nightingale." The ticket gives you entry for a full year, so you can come back as often as you like. Picnics can be taken into the grounds during the summer.
- Address: Wentworth Pl., Keats Grove, Hampstead, London, NW3 2RR | Map It
- Phone: 020/7332-3868
- Cost: £5
- Hours: Apr.--Oct., Tues.--Sun. 1--5; Nov.--Mar., Fri.--Sun. 1--5; closed Good Friday and Christmas wk
- Website: www.keatshouse.cityoflondon.gov.uk
- Tube: Hampstead; North London Line overground: Hampstead Heath from Highbury & Islington.
- Location: Regent's Park and Hampstead
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1799 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises
I realized that my other ongoing report ("UK TR, so far)" was now misnamed....so I am finishing here. I started it on the 2nd (or so) day of our trip, but now we have been at home for several days.
The Read more
Again, as promised a separate thread that will be easily searchable. Read more
We are planning a trip to England and Scotland using Britrail. Read more
· News & Features
It's been about 18,000 hard day's nights (er, 50 years) since The Beatles changed rock 'n' roll.... Read more
A trophy trip for teens, a storybook vacay for toddlers, a sophisticated city break for grown-ups... Londo... Read more
Despite the season finale, Dan Stevens (aka Matthew Crawley) was on hand to host the Big British Invite... Read more