- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Handel House Museum
Handel House Museum Review
The former home of the composer, where he lived for more than 30 years until his death in 1759, is a celebration of his genius. It's the first museum in London solely dedicated to one composer. In rooms decorated in fine Georgian style you can linger over original manuscripts (there are more to be seen in the British Library) and gaze at portraits—accompanied by live music if the adjoining music rooms are being used by musicians in rehearsal. Some of the composer's most famous pieces were created here, including Messiah and Music for the Royal Fireworks. To hear a live concert here is to imagine the atmosphere of rehearsals and "salon" music in its day (check the website for details of recitals and events). Handel House makes a perfect cultural pit stop after shopping on nearby Bond and Oxford streets, and if you come on a weekend, there is free admission for kids. The museum occupies both No. 25 and the adjoining house, No. 23, where another musical star, Jimi Hendrix, lived for a brief time in the 1960s, as a blue plaque outside the house indicates. Tours of Hendrix's flat, currently the administrative offices of the museum and not usually open to the public, are offered during London's 'Open House' weekend every September. Phone or check the website for details.
- Address: 25 Brook St., entrance in Lancashire Court, Mayfair, London, W1K 4HB | Map It
- Phone: 020/7495-1685
- Cost: £6
- Hours: Tues., Wed., Fri., and Sat. 10--6, Thurs. 10--8, Sun. noon--6 (last admission half hour before closing)
- Website: www.handelhouse.org
- Tube: Bond St.
- Location: St. James's and Mayfair
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
As promised I am making recommendations for places as separate threads so that they will be easily searchable when others are looking for recommendations.
Pubs: (New Town)
The Queen's Arms (Frederick Read more
My husband and I are flying into Brussels in September and plan on flying out of London. Read more
· News & Features
It's been about 18,000 hard day's nights (er, 50 years) since The Beatles changed rock 'n' roll. ... Read more
A trophy trip for teens, a storybook vacay for toddlers, a sophisticated city break for grown-ups... Londo... Read more
Despite the season finale, Dan Stevens (aka Matthew Crawley) was on hand to host the Big British Invite... Read more