- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
James Smith & Sons Ltd.
James Smith & Sons Ltd. Review
This has to be the world's ultimate umbrella shop, and a must for anyone interested in real Victorian London. The family-owned shop has been in this location on a corner of New Oxford Street since 1857, and sells every kind of umbrella, cane, and walking stick imaginable. The interior is unchanged since the 19th century; you will feel as if you have stepped back in time. If the umbrellas are out of your price range, James Smith also sells smaller accessories and handmade wooden bowls.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
As promised I am making recommendations for places as separate threads so that they will be easily searchable when others are looking for recommendations.
Pubs: (New Town)
The Queen's Arms (Frederick Read more
I thnk I can figure out London! Read more
· News & Features
It's been about 18,000 hard day's nights (er, 50 years) since The Beatles changed rock 'n' roll. ... Read more
A trophy trip for teens, a storybook vacay for toddlers, a sophisticated city break for grown-ups... Londo... Read more
Despite the season finale, Dan Stevens (aka Matthew Crawley) was on hand to host the Big British Invite... Read more