- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Dinner by Heston Blumenthal
Dinner by Heston Blumenthal Review
Exceptional olde English-inspired dishes executed with ultra-modern precision in an open kitchen is the schtick at Ashley Palmer-Watts' acclaimed award-winner at the Mandarin Oriental in Knightsbrige (Palmer-Watts was the protégée of superstar chef Heston Blumenthal, who has now moved on to pastures new and green). As you take in the view of Hyde Park, you simply must slice into a Meat Fruit starter (c.1500), deceptively shaped like a mandarin, but encasing the smoothest, most creamy chicken liver parfait on the planet. A plate of Rice and Flesh (c.1390) is a picture of yellow saffron rice with calf's tails and red wine, and fans will recognise the snail-and-girolle Savoury Porridge (c.1660) from Blumenthal's Berkshire flagship, The Fat Duck. There's juicy Beef Royale (c.1720) cooked sous vide at 56°C for 72 hours, plus tender cod in cider with mussels and chard (c. 1940). Head off with the marvelous spit roasted pineapple Tipsy cake (c.1810)—a triumphant homage to traditional English spit-roasting from centuries past. For conversation-piece dishes, you can do no better.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
As promised I am making recommendations for places as separate threads so that they will be easily searchable when others are looking for recommendations.
Pubs: (New Town)
The Queen's Arms (Frederick Read more
I thnk I can figure out London! Read more
· News & Features
It's been about 18,000 hard day's nights (er, 50 years) since The Beatles changed rock 'n' roll. ... Read more
A trophy trip for teens, a storybook vacay for toddlers, a sophisticated city break for grown-ups... Londo... Read more
Despite the season finale, Dan Stevens (aka Matthew Crawley) was on hand to host the Big British Invite... Read more