- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Serpentine Gallery Review
Overlooking the large stream that winds its way through Hyde Park and from which the gallery takes its name, this small brick building set in Kensington Gardens is one of London's foremost showcases for contemporary art, and has featured exhibitions by lumiaries such as Damien Hirst, Louise Bourgeois, John Currin, Gabriel Orozco, and Gerhard Richter. A permanent work on the gallery's grounds, consisting of eight benches and a carved stone circle, commemorates its former patron, Princess Diana. A new extension, the Serpentine Sackler Gallery, is set to open in the fall of 2013. If you're in town between May and September, check out the annual Serpentine pavillion, which each year is commissioned from a leading architect who is given free rein to interpret the brief—leading to imaginative results. Past designers have included Frank Gehry, Daniel Liebeskind, and Jean Nouvel.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
As promised I am making recommendations for places as separate threads so that they will be easily searchable when others are looking for recommendations.
Pubs: (New Town)
The Queen's Arms (Frederick Read more
First timer here...have been go-ogling last couple of weeks for planning my first trip to Europe
Every search throws up some Fodor forum link...and have been very impressed by the people who Read more
· News & Features
It's been about 18,000 hard day's nights (er, 50 years) since The Beatles changed rock 'n' roll. ... Read more
A trophy trip for teens, a storybook vacay for toddlers, a sophisticated city break for grown-ups... Londo... Read more
Despite the season finale, Dan Stevens (aka Matthew Crawley) was on hand to host the Big British Invite... Read more