- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Simpson's Tavern Review
This Olde-world Dickensian chop house and tavern was founded by Thomas Simpson in 1757 and it's as raucous now as the day it opened. Approached via a tiny back alley near the Bank of England, it draws tubby, ruddy-faced pinstriped City folk, who revel in the old boarding school surrounds and guzzle down shedloads of claret and old school grub: pork belly crackling, oxtail stew, steak and kidney pie, potted shrimps, chump chops, and "stewed cheese" (the house special of cheese on toast with Béchamel sauce). Desserts, naturally, are boarding school favorites, like bread and butter pudding or spotted dick and custard. Shared oak bench stalls and grumpy service only seem to add to the charm. Note it's only open weekdays for breakfast and lunch from 8.30 am until 3 pm last orders.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
As promised I am making recommendations for places as separate threads so that they will be easily searchable when others are looking for recommendations.
Pubs: (New Town)
The Queen's Arms (Frederick Read more
My husband and I are flying into Brussels in September and plan on flying out of London. Read more
· News & Features
It's been about 18,000 hard day's nights (er, 50 years) since The Beatles changed rock 'n' roll. ... Read more
A trophy trip for teens, a storybook vacay for toddlers, a sophisticated city break for grown-ups... Londo... Read more
Despite the season finale, Dan Stevens (aka Matthew Crawley) was on hand to host the Big British Invite... Read more