- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
The Mall Review
This stately, 115-foot-wide processional route sweeping from Admiralty Arch to the Queen Victoria Memorial at Buckingham Palace is an updated 1904 version of a promenade laid out around 1660 for the game of paille-maille (a type of croquet crossed with golf), which also gave the parallel road Pall Mall its name. The Duke of York Memorial up the steps toward Carlton House Terrace is a towering column dedicated to George III's second son, further immortalized in the English nursery rhyme "The Grand old Duke of York." Sadly the internal spiral steps are inaccessible. Be sure to stroll along The Mall on Sunday when the road is closed to traffic, or catch the bands and troops of the Household Division on their way from St. James's Palace to Buckingham Palace for the Changing the Guard.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
As promised I am making recommendations for places as separate threads so that they will be easily searchable when others are looking for recommendations.
Pubs: (New Town)
The Queen's Arms (Frederick Read more
My husband and I are flying into Brussels in September and plan on flying out of London. Read more
· News & Features
It's been about 18,000 hard day's nights (er, 50 years) since The Beatles changed rock 'n' roll. ... Read more
A trophy trip for teens, a storybook vacay for toddlers, a sophisticated city break for grown-ups... Londo... Read more
Despite the season finale, Dan Stevens (aka Matthew Crawley) was on hand to host the Big British Invite... Read more