- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Hampton Court Palace
Hampton Court Palace Review
The beloved seat of Henry VIII's court, sprawled elegantly beside the languid waters of the Thames, this beautiful palace really gives you two for the price of one: the magnificent Tudor red-brick mansion, begun in 1514 by Cardinal Wolsey to curry favor with the young Henry, and the larger 17th-century baroque building, which was partly designed by Christopher Wren (of St. Paul's fame). The earliest buildings on this site belonged to a religious order founded in the 11th century and were expanded over the years by its many subsequent residents, until George II moved the royal household closer to London in the early 18th century.
Wander through the State Apartments, decorated in the Tudor style, complete with priceless paintings, and on to the wood-beamed magnificence of Henry's Great Hall, before taking in the strikingly azure ceiling of the Chapel Royal. Well-handled reconstructions of Tudor life take place all year, from live appearances by 'Henry VIII' and his elaborately-costumed court, to a small retinue of cook-historians preparing authentic Tudor feasts in the 15th-century Henry's Kitchens.
Feel a chill in the air? Watch out for the ghost of Henry VIII's doomed fifth wife, Catherine Howard, who literally lost her head yet is said to scream her way along the Haunted Gallery. Weirdly, the ambient temperature really is prone to drop noticeably and nobody knows why. Latter-day masters of the palace, the joint rulers William and Mary (reigned 1689-1702), were responsible for the beautiful King's and Queen's Apartments and the elaborate baroque of the Georgian Rooms.
Don't miss the famous maze (the oldest hedge maze in the world), its half mile of pathways among clipped hedgerows still fiendish to negotiate. There's a trick, but we won't give it away here: It's much more fun just to go and lose yourself.
The Lower Orangery Exotic Garden shows off thousands of exotic species that William and Mary, avid plant collectors, gathered from around the globe.
In summer months, consider arriving in style by riverboat
Family tickets offer huge savings, with £44 covering two adults and up to six children. (£36 if you buy them in advance online).
Choose which parts of the palace to explore based on a number of self-guided audio walking tours. Come Christmas time, there's ice-skating on a rink before the West Front of the palace.
Are you brave enough to explore the Haunted Gallery by candlelight? Evening ghost tours (£25 per person) are held throughout the year. Not only are they entertainingly spooky, but they're a great opportunity way to see the older parts of the palace without the crowds. Call or go online to check dates.
- Address: Hampton Court Rd., East Molesley, Surrey, KT8 9AU | Map It
- Phone: 0844/482-7799 tickets; 0844/482-7777 information (24 hr.)
- Cost: Palace, maze, and gardens £17; maze only £3.85; gardens only £5.50 (free Oct.-Mar.)
- Hours: Late Mar.--Oct., daily 10--6; Nov.--late Mar., daily 10--4:30; last admission one hr before closing; last entry to maze 45 mins before closing); check website before visiting
- Website: www.hrp.org.uk/hamptoncourtpalace
- Tube: Richmond, then bus R68; National Rail: Hampton Court Station, 35 min from Waterloo (most trains require change at Surbiton).
- Location: The Thames Upstream
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
As promised I am making recommendations for places as separate threads so that they will be easily searchable when others are looking for recommendations.
Pubs: (New Town)
The Queen's Arms (Frederick Read more
First timer here...have been go-ogling last couple of weeks for planning my first trip to Europe
Every search throws up some Fodor forum link...and have been very impressed by the people who Read more
· News & Features
It's been about 18,000 hard day's nights (er, 50 years) since The Beatles changed rock 'n' roll. ... Read more
A trophy trip for teens, a storybook vacay for toddlers, a sophisticated city break for grown-ups... Londo... Read more
Despite the season finale, Dan Stevens (aka Matthew Crawley) was on hand to host the Big British Invite... Read more