- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Old Spitalfields Market
Old Spitalfields Market Review
This fine example of a Victorian market hall (once the East End's wholesale fruit and vegetable market), now restored to its original splendor, is at the center of the area's gentrified revival. The original building is now largely occupied by shops with traders' stalls in the courtyard, and a modern shopping precinct under a Norman Foster-designed glass canopy adjoins the old building, home to a large number of independent traders' stalls. Wares include crafts, retro clothing, handmade rugs, jewelry, aromatherapy oils, fashion-forward clothes by new designers, hand-carved toy trains, unique baby clothes, vintage art prints, rare vinyl records, and cakes, though you may have to wade through a certain number of stalls selling cheap imports to find the good stuff. Thursday is particularly good for antiques. And, from Spanish tapas to Thai satays, the food outlets (mostly small, upscale chains but some independent stallholders as well) offer cuisines from around the world.
- Address: 16 Horner Sq., Brushfield St., Spitalfields, London, E1 6EW | Map It
- Phone: 020/7247-8556
- Hours: Stalls Tues.--Fri. 10--5, Sun. 9--5; restaurants weekdays 11--11, Sun. 9--11; retail shops daily 10--7
- Website: www.spitalfields.co.uk
- Tube: Liverpool St. London Overground: Shoreditch High Street.
- Location: Spitalfields
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
As promised I am making recommendations for places as separate threads so that they will be easily searchable when others are looking for recommendations.
Pubs: (New Town)
The Queen's Arms (Frederick Read more
I thnk I can figure out London! Read more
· News & Features
It's been about 18,000 hard day's nights (er, 50 years) since The Beatles changed rock 'n' roll. ... Read more
A trophy trip for teens, a storybook vacay for toddlers, a sophisticated city break for grown-ups... Londo... Read more
Despite the season finale, Dan Stevens (aka Matthew Crawley) was on hand to host the Big British Invite... Read more