- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cheshire's thriving center is Chester, a city similar in some ways to Shrewsbury, though it has many more black-and-white half-timber buildings (some built in Georgian and Victorian times), and its medieval walls still stand. History seems more tangible in Chester than in many other ancient cities, and modern buildings have not been allowed to intrude. A negative result of this perfection is that Chester has become a favorite bus-tour destination, with gift shops, noise, and crowds.
Chester has been a prominent city since the late 1st century, when the Roman Empire expanded north to the banks of the River Dee. The original Roman town plan is still evident: the principal streets, Eastgate, Northgate, Watergate, and Bridge Street, lead out from the Cross—the site of the central area of the Roman fortress—to the four city gates, and the partly excavated remains of what is thought to have been the country's largest Roman amphitheater lie to the south of Chester's medieval castle.
Chester at a Glance
Elsewhere in Stratford-upon-Avon and the Heart of England
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save at 3-Star Novotel Coventry: $145 & Up in May Expedia
- Coventry Savings! Book at Ramada & Suites Coventry Fr $87+/Nt Expedia
- Save at 3-Star Days Coventry: $79 & Up in May — $79 Expedia
- Coventry Savings! Book at Britannia Coventry Fr $79+/Nt — $79 Save with Expedia, $7/night less
- $96 & Up: Holiday Inn Coventry South 3-Star Hotel in Coventry — $96 Expedia