- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cartmel, one of the most attractive southern Lakeland villages, has earned a place on England's culinary map with this ambitious restaurant with rooms in a forge converted to a bright, contemporary, and airy space with dark wooden beams, stark white walls, and splashes of color. Chef Simon Rogan's innovative food incorporates long-forgotten herbs; choose from three fixed-price menus (£69-£89) with up to 12 courses, or go for the simpler lunch (£25). Your choices might include potatoes in onion ashes and lovage, or roast cauliflower with young squid and elderberry vinegar. Some dishes work better than others at this outpost of molecular gastronomy, but boredom is never a risk. Nearby Rogan and Company, run by the same team, has a slightly less elevated menu. Cartmel is 17 miles south of Hawkshead.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1799 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
I realized that my other ongoing report ("UK TR, so far)" was now misnamed....so I am finishing here. I started it on the 2nd (or so) day of our trip, but now we have been at home for several days.
The Read more
Again, as promised a separate thread that will be easily searchable. Read more
We are planning a trip to England and Scotland using Britrail. Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more