- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mountain Goat and Lakes Supertours provide minibus sightseeing tours with skilled local guides. Half- and full-day tours, some of which really get off the beaten track, depart from Bowness, Windermere, Ambleside, and Grasmere.
Walks range from gentle, literary-oriented strolls to challenging ridge hikes. The Lake District National Park or tourist information centers can put you in touch with qualified guides. Blue Badge Guides can provide experts on the area. English Lakeland Ramblers organizes single-base and inn-to-inn guided tours of the Lake District. Lake District Walker offers guided day hikes for different abilities. Go Higher will take you on challenging routes and provides technical gear and courses on mountaineering skills.
Blue Badge Guides (020/7403-1115. cumbriatouristguides.co.uk.)
English Lakeland Ramblers (703/680-4276 or 800/724-8801. www.ramblers.com.)
Lake District Walker (01900/822448. www.thelakedistrictwalker.co.uk.)
Lakes Supertours (1 High St., Windermere, LA23 1AF. 015394/42751. www.lakes-supertours.co.uk.)
Mountain Goat (Victoria St., Windermere, LA23 1AD. 015394/45161. www.mountain-goat.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises