The South Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Salisbury Cathedral: At one of England's most spectacular cathedrals, try a tour around the roof and spire for a fascinating angle on this must-see monument.
Stonehenge: At the right time of day (early or late is best), this mystical ring of stones can cast a memorable spell against the backdrop of Salisbury Plain.
House and garden at Stourhead: It's the perfect English combination. A Palladian mansion plus acres of parkland, landscaped in the 18th century, induce feelings of bliss.
The New Forest: Get away from it all in the South's most extensive wilderness—crisscrossed by myriad trails that are ideal for horseback riding, hiking, and biking.
Literary trails: Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, and John Fowles have all made this part of Britain a happy stomping ground for book buffs, with a concentration of sights in Chawton, Dorchester, and Lyme Regis.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Holiday Inn Express Southampton West in May: $132 & Up Expedia
- Special deal: 4-Star Hallmark Bournemouth Fr $176+/Nt Save with Expedia, $26/night less
- Southampton on Sale! 5 Nts + Air as Low as $1,343 Travelocity
- Explore Europe with Royal Caribbean International Fr $803 Expedia
- May deal: Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7 Fr $125+/Nt — $125 Expedia