- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A banner waving from one tower and a glassy moat crossed by what was, surely, once a drawbridge—this fairy-tale castle has everything except knights in shining armor. The redbrick structure was originally built by Sir Roger Fiennes (ancestor of actor Ralph Fiennes) in 1444, although it was altered in the Elizabethan age and again early in the 20th century, after it had largely fallen to ruin. Canada's Queen's University owns the castle, so only part of it is open for guided tours once or twice a day (except Saturday). Highlights include the magnificent ballroom, a medieval room, and the stunning Elizabethan-era staircase. Explore the formal walled garden, lily-covered lakes, and miles of woodland—the perfect place for a picnic on a sunny afternoon. There's a hands-on science center for kids. When school isn't in session, the castle rents out its small, plain guest rooms for £81 per night. The castle is 8 miles southwest of Battle.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
Again, as promised a separate thread that will be easily searchable. Read more
With many thanks to many posters here who commented in my earlier thread: http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-weeks-w-6-year-old-in-uk.cfm
I didn't want to disappear into the ether and i wanted to Read more
UK trip report so far... This is the stream of consciousness part--informative part will come later.
We flew British air from Boston to Heathrow, Tuesday, May7th. We have never changed planes at Heathrow Read more
· News & Features
A New York City judge has ruled against the use of apartments for "transient tenants," which includes... Read more
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more