The Thames Valley Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to the Thames Valley
Windsor Castle: The mystique of eight successive royal houses of the British monarchy permeates Windsor and its famous castle, where a fraction of the current Queen's vast wealth is displayed.
Mapledurham House: This is the house that inspired Toad Hall from The Wind in the Willows; you can picnic here on the grounds and drink in the views.
Oxford: While scholars' noses are buried in their books, you get to sightsee among Oxford University's ancient stone buildings and memorable museums.
Blenheim Palace: The only British historic home to be named a World Heritage Site has magnificent baroque architecture, stunning parkland, and remembrances of Winston Churchill.
Boating on the Thames: Life is slower on the river, and renting a boat or taking a cruise is an ideal way to see verdant riverside pastures and villages. Windsor, Marlow, Henley, and Oxford are good options.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Oxford Savings! Book at Holiday Inn Express Oxford Fr $133+/Nt Expedia
- $107 & Up: Days Inn Oxford 3-Star Hotel in Oxford Expedia